United States Citizenship

Once you have a green card, how and when can you apply for US citizenship?

While generally, you must be a lawful permanent resident to apply for naturalization, there are certain narrow exceptions to this rule. We provide videos, articles and links explaining who is eligible for naturalization as well as the application procedures, including an online, self-correcting history and government test.

Our citizenship attorneys have many years of experience helping persons in completing their N-400 applications, passing the naturalization test and accompanying them to their interviews. In the 1970s, Attorney Carl Shusterman worked as an INS Citizenship Attorney in Los Angeles where he interviewed thousands of applicants for naturalization and for derivative citizenship through their parents.


US citizenship “Very professional law firm. We had a difficult issue and Mr. Shusterman’s office got right onto the case and resolved the issue with USCIS. Because of their efforts, me and my family were able to get our Legal Permanent Residency card. My suggestion to those trying to obtain an employment based card. Don’t look for a money saving attorney. They will cost you lot more in long run. Go to a law firm which is professional and knowledgeable. It pays in the long term.” (More client reviews…)

Schedule Consultation

Skype Consultations Available!


To be eligible for naturalization, you must:


  1. Be a lawful permanent resident of the United States for 5 years, or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen for a minimum of the 3 years (although there are certain exceptions to this requirement for persons who have honorable service in the U.S. Armed Forces);
  2. Be physically present in the United States for over 50% of the required residency period;
  3. Be a person of good moral character;
  4. Take an oath of loyalty to the United States;
  5. Be able to speak, read and write simple words and phrases in the English language (although there are certain exceptions to this rule); and
  6. Pass a test in U.S. history and government.


Once you become a US citizen, you may US Citizenship sponsor your spouse, parents, sons and daughters as well as your brothers and sisters for lawful permanent residence in the U.S. Some persons may obtain US citizenship at birth, or while they are minors, through their U.S. citizen parents or grandparents. This is known as acquiring US citizenship through acquisition or derivation. We have posted the government’s 4 US nationality charts on our web site. It is also possible to have your naturalization revoked. Finally, we link to articles regarding who is eligible to be a “dual” citizen, a citizen of more than one country.


US Citizenship is divided into the following subtopics:



Related Pages:




Naturalization Attorney



More success stories…



us citizenship






Google +