Green Cards

Our 7 green card attorneys have obtained permanent residence for tens of thousands of our clients during the past 30 years through employment, marriage, relatives and investments (EB5). We explain how to obtain permanent residence (aka “Green Cards”) in the United States through each of these methods.

Most people obtain green cards by being sponsored by their relatives or through their employers.  Others become permanent residents through EB-5 investments, the green card lottery or asylum. Our website contains dozens of articles explaining who qualifies for a green card and how the process works.

A green card enables a person to live and work in the United States for the rest of his life as long as he does not abandon his residence by staying outside the US for too long a time or engage in conduct which renders him subject to deportation.

green cards Most persons who are residing in the U.S. are eligible adjust their status to permanent residence without leaving the U.S. However, if you have ever violated your lawful immigration status, you may be eligible to adjust your status only if you: (1) Are an “immediate relative” of a U.S. citizen (Parent, spouse or child); (2) Qualify for benefits under section 245(i) of the law and pay an appropriate fine; (3) Qualify under section 245(k) of the law as an employment-based immigrant; or (4) Qualify under section 209 if you are an asylee or a refugee.

This page also describes the process of obtaining an immigrant visa abroad if a person is either residing in a foreign country, or does not wish to adjust status in the U.S. However, if you are ineligible to adjust status to permanent resident in the U.S, be sure to carefully read our section entitled Unlawful Presence Bars and Waivers before you decide whether to attempt to obtain an immigrant visa abroad.

Scroll down this page to learn how you can qualify to receive a green card, or how you can sponsor an employee or a relative for permanent residence.


“Very professional law firm. We had a difficult issue and Mr. Shusterman’s office got right onto the case and resolved the issue with USCIS. Because of their efforts, me and my family were able to get our Legal Permanent Residency card. My suggestion to those trying to obtain employment based card. Don’t look for money saving attorney. They will cost you lot more in long run. Go to a law firm which is professional and knowledgeable. It pays in the long term.” (More client reviews…)


Schedule Consultation

Skype Consultations Available!


Permanent Residence (aka “Green Cards”) is divided into the following subtopics:



Related Pages:





Green Card Lawyer



More success stories…













  • How to Obtain a Green Card Through Marriage
    Immigrants who marry U.S. citizens are considered “immediate relatives” when obtaining green cards, freeing them from quota restrictions and allowing them to adjust their status to permanent residents.


  • Green Cards for Family Members
    U.S. citizens may sponsor their spouses, parents, children, and siblings for green cards while green card holders may apply for their spouses and unmarried children.


  • Green Cards Through Employment
    This video discusses how to obtain permanent residence in the U.S. through employment and explains the different employment-based (EB) categories.


  • Adjustment of Status
    This video explains the process of “Adjustment of Status”, legal jargon for obtaining permanent residence without having to leave the United States.


  • Adjustment of Status Through Section 245(i)
    Section 245(i) of the immigration law allows certain persons who have overstayed their visas or entered the United States without papers to adjust their status to permanent residents.



Google +