GREEN CARDS THROUGH AMNESTY
In 1986, a law was enacted which provided that certain persons who had been residing unlawfully in the United States since prior to 1982 could gain lawful permanent residence by applying for amnesty.
The INS interpreted the law in a very restrictive matter, and the regulations implementing the law were challenged in Federal Court. The plaintiffs prevailed in a number of these “late amnesty” lawsuits, notably “Catholic Social Services (CSS)” and “League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)”.
As a result of the amnesty program and the CSS and LULAC (later “Newman”) lawsuits, millions of persons were able to achieve lawful permanent residence and later were able to apply for American citizenship.
We hope that the materials below help you to better understand the Late Amnesty cases.
“I can honestly say that Mr. Carl Shusterman and his team are probably the best in the business when it comes to immigration matters. Carl’s greatest asset is his prior work experience as a former INS prosecutor. My family and I were on the verge of being deported from the United States. Because of Carl’s expertise and dedication, not only are we allowed to remain in this country permanently but are on path of obtaining citizenship…” (More client reviews…)
Skype Consultations Available!
LATE AMNESTY CASES
- Final Settlements in CSS and LULAC (Newman) Late Amnesty Cases (USCIS)
- Notice of Proposed Settlement in CSS Case (November 2003)
- Joint Stipulation Regarding Settlement in CSS Case (November 2003)
- Notice of Proposed Settlement in LULAC/Newman Case (November 2003)
- Joint Stipulation Regarding Settlement in LULAC/Newman Case (November 2003)
- Update On Late Amnesty Regulations (February 2002)
- INS Late Amnesty Regulations (June 1, 2001)
- Federal Appeals Courts Leans Toward Plaintiffs in CSS v. Reno (November 21, 2000)
- Press Release: Federal Appeals Courts Rules For Plaintiffs In CSS v. Reno (November 22, 2000)
- Legal Amnesty Restoration Act of 1999 (S.1552) (Introduced 8-5-99)
- Court Dismisses Injunction in CSS-II Lawsuit (8-26-98)
- INS Memoradum on Late Amnesty Cases (2-6-98)
- Update on CSS/LULAC/IAP Late Amnesty Cases (12-5-97)